Friday, April 21, 2017

18FEB17: Thailand Day 3 - Petchaburi Area - The Dump Redux (Part 1 of 4)

Today was the big Sand Spit day and I woke up sick as a dog.  Dreams of Pallas's Gull, Mongo Plover, and "White-faced" Kentish Plover were at risk.  I made it down stairs to the breakfast area of the Sun Hotel and started pounding juice.  I was running a good fever now, my chest was clogged, and my throat killed.  Couple that with serious quad cramps from dehydration and you have a sick puppy.  But...  it was the Sand Spit day....

We had a few hours to bird before taking the trip out to the Sand Spit.  We decided to go to the Dump again, hit Pak Thale, then go to the Spit.  On our first visit there, we were able to see 2 Rosy Starlings.  Remember, Rick thought he had 3.  We also missed the Brahminy Starling so this was another chance to try for that uncommon visitor. 

We arrived and Bob and Rick were off and running.  I wasn't.  I was moving pretty slowly and did not want to bog those guys down.  So I went into the dump.  Lighting was good, birds were all around, and I was able to get on the Brahminy Starling.  Let's start with Rick "I don't need a stinking camera" Heil's great hand held digiphoto followed by my enfeebled DSLR attempt:


Brahminy Starling by Rick Heil
Brahminy Starling by Yours Truly :-(
There were three Rosy Starling like Rick thought.  There was a pair feeding on a staged-for-photographers-in-a-blind perch and one was singing away. 

Rosy Starling
Here is an image with my recording of the Rosy Starling's song overlaid: 

Rosy Starling Singing
That was enough for me.  I went back to the truck and laid down....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bueng Boraphet - The Crown Jewel of Thailand Marshbirding

If I had to bird in one spot for the rest of my life it would be here at Thailand’s largest natural freshwater lake.   In my nine trips...