Saturday, April 1, 2017

17FEB17: Thailand Day 2 -The Abandoned Building Area (Part 2 of 5)

Just down the road from the dump is a large area with many salt production ponds/ impoundments.  There just happens to be a giant abandoned building there...  oh ya, my headache is getting worse and my legs are cramping.  One of our first birds before the main impoundment area was a leucistic Wood Sandpiper:
Leucistic Wood Sandpiper
For my friends in Massachusetts, picture Forward Pool at PRNWR, then, with out a blink of an eye, multiply that by over 100 and fill each one of them with birds. This place was staggering with the volume of shorebirds.  Here is a wall of shorebirds with many Great Knot:
A mass of shorebirds with many Great Knot
From there, it was what ever you wanted.  We tallied 31 (!) species of shorebirds in this complex.  I really started feeling crummy so Na and I did some car birding before hooking back up with Rick and Bob.  It was a bird photographer's dream come true.  Right out the window were Black-winged Stilt, Black-tailed Godwit, Broad-billed Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, etc..  This blogger sucks for putting in pictures so I will only put in a few.
Black-tailed Godwit
Broad-billed Sandpiper
Black-winged Stilt
We came across a large group of shore birds and in them were Asian Dowitcher.  Rick's mad digiscoping skills started to show themselves even more:

Asian Dowitcher courtesy of Rick Heil
And in another large pool were hundreds upon hundreds of Black-winged Stilts including this leucistic bird:

Leucistic Black-winged Stilt
We all hooked back up and continued to the far end (northeast) portion of the area.  Here we came across a lake with ducks and grebes - 5 Eurasian Wigeon were a bonus.

Eurasian Wigeon
On the other side of the lake was this one impoundment that was packed with shorebirds - and more were flying in.  The birds would cross the lake, fly over the road, and go into the impoundments.  The light was not that great (sun a little too high) but I still wanted to get flight shots of all these exotic shore birds.  So while Rick and Bob worked the mob of birds, I kept half an eye out for incoming birds.  

Sometimes it pays to be lucky.  I had just photographed a group of Black-tailed Godwit and Pacific Golden-Plover when a group of greenshank came screaming over us.  I was able to get off about 8 shots with only a few coming out.  I kept going with my flight shots when Rick says Nordmann's just landed in the pool!  We all scoped the birds out and in fact there were 15.  I mentioned to Rick I photographed them flying in and we looked at the camera back and sure enough, I got lucky.   Here are a few pics of these uncommon tringa:  

Nordmann's Greenshank
Nordmann's Greenshank
Nordmann's Greenshank
As we looked at these photos, Rick mentioned that they almost have a feel for a large Terek Sandpiper - they sure did!

On the way out to get lunch, there was this very obliging Whiskered Tern gobbling down something that appeared to be a prawn:

Whiskered Tern

Next stop is lunch, not unlike the Whiskered Tern...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bueng Boraphet - The Crown Jewel of Thailand Marshbirding

If I had to bird in one spot for the rest of my life it would be here at Thailand’s largest natural freshwater lake.   In my nine trips...